Re: Fooling rpm dependencies (?)

Craig White wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 06:31, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 07:07:34 +0200 (CEST), Marco Calistri wrote:
> >
> > > Hello I removed mozilla rpm packages from my system and I installed one
> > > release from source (mozilla-1.2),now I have the problem on nautilus-mozilla and
> > > evolution which are complaining about a dependency problem regarding some
> > > libraries previously installed with mozilla's rpms.
> > >
> > > Wonder if can I have any chances to "fool" rpm database so that this
> > > dependencies get solved,at least in order to be able also to use apt-get on my
> > > RHL which requires a very "clean" and "strict" "dependency-free" system.
> >
> > Install the mozilla rpms with options --justdb --noscripts --notriggers
> > but take notes so you don't forget that the other version was installed
> > from tarball.
> -----
> ooh - nicely answered - I learned something

I guess there is one more street leading to Rome: *g*

Maybe one of the two scripts /usr/lib/rpm/vpkg-provides2.sh
/usr/lib/rpm/vpkg-provides.sh are the best way for such a situation.
from the head of vpkg-provides.sh:
# vpkg-provides.sh searches a list of directories (based on what OS
# it's being executed on) for shared libraries and interpreter files
# that have been installed by some packaging system other than RPM.
# It then generates a spec file that can be used to build a "virtual
# package" that provides all of these things without actually
# installing any files.  The spec file in effect tells rpm what it
# needs to know about operating system files which are not under rpm
# control.  This makes it much easier to use RPM on non-Linux systems.

Both scripts are from the package rpm-build-4.0.4-7x.18.

Bye

Dirk