Moving root partition

I have a disk drive that required a new driver be compiled on RedHat 9 in
order to work. I want to move / to the new drive. I mapped the new drive as
/newRoot and used find . -depth -print | cpio -padumV /newRoot to copy / to
the new drive.

I edit fstab to mount old root to /newRoot and mount the new drive as /. I
reboot and get an error in e2fsck while the partitions are being checked.
Are there any steps that I am missing in order to move this partition?

Chris