USB performance with mass storage devices

I'm looking for some advice to improve performance of mass storage USB
devices. I am using an external USB hard drive to backup data files (total
of 47Gb)  and this is really taking a lot of time. The average transfer rate
is approx 0.9Mb/sec. I use a simple cp -ax /d01 /mnt/usbhd/d01 command to
backup files.

This is on a 7.3 system (kernel 2.4.20-20.7) and the external HD is a WD
1200JB. I also have an internal WD1200JB providing up to 44Mb/sec transfer
rate. Perhaps the best solution here is to connect my backup HD to an IDE
controller inside the box?

Any suggestions welcome

Daniel