RE: question on buffermem and pagecache entries /proc/sys/vm folder on redhat 7.3

I always wondered why a gig of RAM was being almost 100% utilized on my
servers! :)  Thanks for the info!

-----Original Message-----
From: valhalla-list-admin redhat com [mailto:valhalla-list-admin redhat com]
On Behalf Of Mikkel L. Ellertson
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 12:36 AM
To: valhalla-list redhat com
Subject: Re: question on buffermem and pagecache entries /proc/sys/vm folder
on redhat 7.3

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, chandrashekaran Kannan wrote:

> All
>    I have been trying to tweak redhat 7.3, to release memory, for
> running oracle installer. In this context I was trying to change the
> virtualmemory parameters. I am puzzled, that the system does not have
> entries for buffermem and pagecache. The file vm.txt has relevant
> documentation related to these entries, but both the proc file system
> or the file /etc/syscntl.conf don't have related entries. This is a
> workstation installation, and almost all packages have been
> installed. I am looking for a tip on either of the two alternatives.
> a)Disabling the file system cache or getting the buffermem entry in
> the proc file system up. Any clue would be highly appreciated.
>
> kannan

There is no reasion to disable the file system cache.  This memory is
allocated dynamicly.  If an application needs the memory used by the
cache, the system writes any "dirty" data in the memory it is going to
give up, and frees the memory for application use.  When the memory
becomes free again, it will be used as needed for cache and buffers
untill it is needed again.  This is also why a system that has been in
use for any length of time will have almost no free memory.  After all,
"free" memory is memory that isn't being used, or wasted memory.

Mikkel