Re: crond troubles

   The lines you added look appropriate for an individual user's crontab,
even if the individual user is root, but not for /etc/crontab.  I hope you
didn't add lines to /etc/crontab, then run the crontab command on that
file.  The /etc/crontab file is not the root's crontab.  When the system
is installed, it starts out with no root crontab, but with another
file, /etc/crontab, used by the cron daemon.
   If you mistakenly added a crontab for the special user, root, you may
remove it with "crontab -r".  You can find out if the root user has a
crontab by (as root) "crontab -l", and root can find out if another user
has one with "crontab -u <user> -l".