Re: how to mount a tape drive.

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:05:57AM -0000, adi narayan  swain wrote:
[...]
> #mount -t auto /dev/nst0 /mnt
> it does not mount the drive and gives an error that
> "this is not a block device, could not mount the /dev/nst0"
[...]

The question is: Why do you want to mount the drive? I don't have
extensive experience with tape drives, but I never had to mount them
when I was using them. I always used the device directly, e.g. for
tar: tar cvf /dev/st0 FILES

I don't think it's even possible to mount a tape drive, as mount is
quite correct with it's error message: It's no block device. It says
so if you look at the man page for "st" (man st).

Cheerio,

Thomas
                Thomas Ribbrock    http://www.ribbrock.org