Phew! This is a long one! Problems

Hi!
	I?m a mechanical engineer. I'm having problems
installing RH7.3 on my Compaq 7500 series. I have a 20
GB hard disk, approx 13 GB given to windows. 7 GB has
been assigned to Linux partitions- a 2.2 GB, a 4 GB
and 300 MB Swap. I used fdisk for the purpose. First
of all, my motherboard is the Intel 810e- so I need to
know the video card ram. Mine is a Pentium 3 (600
MHz), 64 MB RAM. Initially, when I did a custom
restore, I chose everything pertaining to stuff having
no japanese/chinese/etc connections, as I had a single
Linux ext3 partition of size 6.5 GB and a swap of 300
MB (so, I could afford an installation in excess of 4
GB). I chose custom installation and selected
individual packages, and installed to satisfy
dependencies. But, when it did install, the X windows,
running KDE, was so slow, I could literally click on
something and go visit some friends and come back
after 10-15 minutes. Even closing a window entailed a
wait of 2-3 minutes! Sometimes more. What could have
been the problem?
	Few days back, I removed it, and tried to install it
again, and this time, I had two Linux partitions, one
0f 2.2 GB, one 0f 4 GB and 300 MB swap. First of all
assigning one partition to root has become a problem.
Just to test if workstation would be a faster
installation (compared to the custom one explained
above), I chose workstation, and did not select
individual packages. So, I figured that the 2.2 GB
partition would suffice. So, I assigned root to the
2.2 GB partition and set it to be formatted as ext3.
But it said "boot partition '/' may not meet booting
constraints for your system architecture. Please
try...." or something to that effect. I selected ?add
anyway? after I met the problem many times. I went
ahead with the installation. But here's where the
actual problem arose. Every time, at the point where
283 MB had been installed, and the package being
installed was 'dev-3.3-4 (size 300KB, summary-the most
commonly used entries in the /dev directory), the
installation stopped and I got the message
" There was an error installing dev-3.3-4. This can
indicate media failure, lack of disk space and/or
hardware problems. This is a fatal error and your
install will be aborted. Please verify your media and
try to install again. Press the OK button to reboot
your system"
I tested the media by rebooting and typing "Linux
mediacheck" at the prompt. All the 3 disks were fine
and passed. The installation size was exactly 1711 MB
so space was not the problem, as my partition space
was 2.2 GB. Could it be hardware problems? Please help
me as I hate windows and love to work on Linux. By the
way, I am using the CDs from the book I bought- Red
Hat 7.3 Bible by Christopher Negus.
	Also, how do I assign '/' to a partition, and where
do I mount the other partitions if any, as they cannot
be repeated? Is assigning '/' to a partition the same
as assigning mount point '/' to that partition? If not
what is the difference?

	-Deepak