Re: XFS starts and dies

Hi Michael,

>I have a server that I have been using RHN to keep up to date.  It
>hasn't been rebooted for several weeks, however.
>
>Today, the XFS service died and we could not get it running again.
>
>Everything looks to be in order, but when we run
>
>#service xfs start
>
>we get a success message.  When we then run
>
>#service xfs status
>
>we get "xfs dead but pid file exists".
>
>The log file (/var/log/messages) shows only this:
>
>Feb 19 11:19:52 apps-1 xfs: listening on port 7100
>Feb 19 11:19:52 apps-1 xfs: xfs startup succeeded
>
>Anyone have an idea where to look next?

This is a server right? Take X off and all the toys that come with it, and
access the machine via ssh (PuTTY from windoh$). X has issues that cause a
number of problems in a server environment, lock-ups such as this one
being just one of them. Worst case scenario is a machine locked up so
tight that it no longer answers access requests on the tcp/ip stack and a
hard reboot is the only recourse of action.