quota problem not mounting volumes as version 2 quota's.

On one of my servers I am having a problem with my quota's.
When I run quotaon It tries to mount the quota as a version 1 quota.

bash-2.05a# quotaon /tmp
quotaon: using /tmp/quota.group on /dev/sda7: No such file or directory
quotaon: using /tmp/quota.user on /dev/sda7: No such file or directory

I cannot find any documentation on enabling quota to mount a quota as a
version 2 quota.

It already has the version 2 quota file on the system:

bash-2.05a# ls -l /tmp/aquota*
-rw-------    1 root     root        12288 Feb 25 15:17 /tmp/aquota.group
-rw-------    1 root     root       107520 Feb 25 15:17 /tmp/aquota.user

But when it is mounted, it keeps trying to mount it as a quota1 volume.
Any ideas?

I have an entry in /etc/fstab for that filesystem:

LABEL=/tmp              /tmp                    ext3
defaults,usrquota,grpquota,nosuid        1 2

If I create a quota as a version 1 quota, quotaon will mount it
successfully:
quotacheck -ug -c -m -b -Fvfsold /tmp

What is going on?
Any ideas why quotaon is not seeing version 2 quotas, if I have configured
version 2 quota's on the volume?

Extra information:
	2.4.20 system, Redhat 7.3
	Quota version: rpm package quota-3.03-1