Re: Need More Memory???

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Ed Wilts wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 11:47:48AM -0500, Keith Mastin wrote:
> > >
> > >Building a box that will be a firewall and am wondering truely how much
> > >power it needs.  Currently I have an old 433Mhz Celeron, with 32MB of
> > >memory.  It can be upgraded to 256MB and I am thinking, do I really need
> > >256 for a machine that will not run X and will only be a firewall???
> >
> > The 433 is overkill..you could probably get away with a 486 loaded with
> > memory, but again, overkill is a good thing.
>
> The 486 is currently not supported for a fresh install of 8.0.

...though for the self-sufficient among us, there is always RULE
(www.rule-project.org).

My firewall-router is an IBM 486/66 laptop (the one with the ultra-cool
folding keyboard) with 40Meg and a 700Meg hard disk.  It's running RH 7.3
installed via RULE, and it's plenty for my home network (DSL and a
half-dozen machines).  For other server functions, I have a P166 with
96Meg that doesn't work terribly hard except when doing backups.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs clemson edu