Re: xinetd: strange or normal???

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Marco Calistri wrote:

> Hello I've updated proftpd and reading inside docs I understood that
> it can be controlled by xinetd.d,so I "chkconfig proftpd off" then I
> enabled proftpd inside /etc/xinetd.d than restarted xinetd but I get
> no any ftp daemon starting.
>
> Wonder if is it due my misundertsanding about the fact that xinetd
> can manage (start/stop) some network daemons or have I to use BOTH:
> xinetd and init.d (via chkconfig) to start/stop such applications
> (?)
>
> Thank's

If the daemon is being controlled by xinetd, it will not be started
untill someone tries to open a ftp connection.  That is the way xinetd
works.  It monitors the port, and starts the proper service when someone
connects.  Before starting the daemon, it also makes sure the host
trying to connect is allowed to connect according to /etc/hosts.allow,
and /etc/hosts.deny.

Mikkel

This email is brought to you by mailtag.com!
Home of free email, and inexpensive internet!
http://www.mailtag.com