Re: LVM not started by boot time scripts

Keith Morse wrote:

I can say that adding:
alias block-major-58 lvm-mod
alias char-major-109 lvm-mod

Out of curiousity, where did you find the reference for these?

In section 9.1 of the HOWTO I have for LVM 1.0.3. The latest lvm appears to be 1.0.6 and that part was moved to sec. 8.1:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/x392.html

But, wouldn't building your own kernel in effect be the same as using lvcreate_initrd?

I don't think so. The kernel I built has LVM support built in, not loaded as a module. It just takes out the need to force the lvm-mod to be loaded by an initscript. The lvmcreate_initrd command creates an initrd ram disk that allows you to boot with root on a logical volume since you need the lvm-mod module loaded at boot time.

At least that's my understanding of it. If I'm wrong, I hope someone points out my mistake and sets us both straight.

Tom