Re: ssh hangs for a long time

On 14 Jan 2003 10:58:06 +0200 Oleg Goldshmidt <pub goldshmidt org>
wrote

[snip]

> However, what baffles me is that both machines have
> entries for each other (both bare hostnames and FQDNs) in their
> respective /etc/hosts files, and /etc/host.conf says /etc/hosts
> should
> be looked up before DNS. So if it goes to /etc/hosts and finds the
> entry there, why would it make a DNS query at all?
>
> There is something I am missing here.

sshd attempts to reverse lookup the client IP address when the client
attempts to connect.  Altering the name of the server on the client's
command line isn't going to do anything for you.

sshd does not use /etc/hosts for reverse resolution, independent of
"files" before "dns" in nsswitch.conf.  It relies on DNS exclusively.

I dislike this behavior as well.  So far I haven't disliked it enough
to hack up the source.  I'll probably install a local DNS server first.