Re: permissions question

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Vam wrote:

> I am relatively new to linux, and am trying to install
> mysql.  I need to add a line to my /etc/ld.so.conf
> file but it will not let me modify it as root.  Nor
> any other file under /etc.  I tried to change the
> permissions of /etc/ld.so.conf by doing 'chmod a+w
> /etc/ld.so.conf', and it gives me:
>
> chmod: changing permissions of '/etc/ld.so.conf':
> Read-only file system
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -V

    To make / become writeable, do the same command as was supposed to be
done during the boot process by /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, which you should
verify has the line

action $"Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode: " mount -n -o remount,rw /

I.e., give the command

mount -n -o remount,rw /

If that works, you'll have to find out why the command didn't execute
during the boot process -- see /var/log/messages, which should have a line
with "Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode: " in it.  And if
giving the command doesn't work, I can't give any suggestions with much
chance of helping, but here are some that are unlikely to help: Maybe
there's some hardware switch or jumper that forces the disk to be
readonly, though the change would have had to be made after you installed
the system on it. Or maybe you did something unusual during installation
that you haven't yet told us about -- for example, you're not using an
ext2 or ext3 partition and your kernel can only read whatever filesystem
you are using for /.  What does /etc/fstab have in the line for /.  Mine,
for example, has

LABEL=/                 /                 ext3    defaults   1 1

--
Steven Yellin