PAM Problem

Hi,

I´ve tried to build an application using PAM. More specifically the
Authen::PAM module for perl.

But, whem I try to change an user password, if I´m not root and even whem
I´m the user changing my own password, I receive the following
error message from PAM:

"Permission denied"

On /var/log/messages i can see:

PAM_pwdb[...]: cannot update default database for user ....

BUT, i discovered that, *IF* I create a configuration file on /etc/pam.d
equals to /etc/pam.d/passwd but comment the first line, that has the
pam_securetty.so module, all works fine.

If I don´t do this, only root can change a password.

My question is: Is there any problem in commenting this line? Note that
I´m creating another configuration file just for my application.
What security issues are involved with this module???

Thanks for any help.

[]´s

-----
Nelson Guedes Paulo Junior
E-mail:  <npaulo linux ime usp br>   UIN: 2489382 (Tender [:alpha:]*)
Eu cavo, tu cavas, ele cava, nós cavamos, vós cavais,
eles cavam... Não é bonito, mas é profundo.