Re: Redundant NICs?

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 03:07:13PM -0700, Ben Brown wrote:
> I am looking for a way to bind two NICs together in some way so that
> they are aware of the other's status. Planning on rolling out a JRun
> cluster and for maximum uptime, we'd like the NICs to be redundant. I've
> experimented with shell scripts, having them ping out and if a response
> is not recieved it modifies the files in /etc/sysconfig/network*
> accordingly and restarts networking. However, I have a feeling there is
> a better way, as this strikes me as sort of a "hack"...

A simple way of doing is to install both NICs, assign them unique IP
addresses, and then use a round-robin DNS entry between them.  Fairly
low-tech, but guaranteed to work.  If one NIC (or switch or some other
network path), the session will drop, but when the user attempts a
reconnection, s/he will get the working path.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts ewilts org