Re: network

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Jim Pickhardt wrote:

> In redhat 7.2 how can I view the other machines on the network? I ran samba
> status and got an error after I edited the samba conf  file and set the
> workgroup to home.
>  Trying to learn linux. Jim Pickhardt

    If all you're trying to do at first is verify that there's a working
communication link between your machine and others, you can use the "ping"
command.  For example, "ping google.com" will, until you press CTRL-c (the
CTRL key and the c key simultaneously), repeatedly check that your
computer can send and get something from google.com. Or you can get the
same effect with "ping 216.239.35.100"; using an IP number instead of
name can work even if something's wrong with your nameserver.
    If you want to share disks using samba, that's more complicated, and
you should be more specific about what you've done and found before asking
for help from those who use samba.

--
Steven Yellin