Re: file system dumps

On 19:52 30 Jan 2003, Michael Weiner <hunter userfriendly net> wrote:
| > Perhaps you should go here:
| > 	http://freshmeat.net/projects/xfs/?topic_id=142
| > and subscribe to project update announcements.
|
| oh yes, good suggestion. and yes actually i am already subscribed to that mailing list
| and have used the xfs kernel in a redhat linux dev environment here, but was under the
| false impression that xfsdump only worked on xfs filesystems as stated in the man pages
| and most likely documented on sgi's website. I will take another look but this is NOT
| an xfs filesystem, its an ext3.

Oh. I presumed it was because you wanted xfsdump.
xfsdump will indeed NOT work on nonxfs.

Plain dump works on ext2/ext3 on Linux.

| i had thought about using rsync, its only a 36G drive, shouldnt take THAT long,
| especially the incrementals, though its the initial one that will be rather resource
| intensive.

I make my first copy of big things with

	mkdir target
	cd source
	tar cf - . | ( cd target && exec tar xf - )

which pipelines, and thus is faster than "cp -rp", and follow up with an
rsync to be sure it's right (tar will muck directory perms etc sometimes).

Then afterwards a plain rsync will be very very efficient.

I tend to stay away from dump myself. It presumes access to the raw
device, and can be busted on active filesystems. tar/cp/rsync can produce
imperfect copies on active data, but at least they're operating above
the filesystem layer instead of below.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs zip com au    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

That article and its poster have been canceled.
	- David B. O'Donnell, Sysadmin, America OnLine