Re: Moving boot partiion

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, so please correct me if I
do.

Matt Ritchie wrote:

> Is it posible to copy the boot partion with out
> crashing Linux?

cp /boot /other-directory
dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/hda1 # DANGER! Partitions need to be the same!

> I lost Installation Disc 1

Create a boot floppy. It should have fdisk on it. Insert an empty
formatted floppy into your floppy drive and type
mkbootdisk

> and was wondering if I
> could use DOS FDISK to make a 50MB partion the first
> partion on disk?

Why use DOS fdisk if you have Linux fdisk?
su -
# enter root password
fdisk /dev/hda
You can repartition your harddisk while Linux is running. However, you
should either unmount all partitions from this harddrive, or at least
remount them read-only.

And of course you need space to create the partition in! You cannot
alter the start/stop of a partition, this will detroy all the data on
that partition!

> Are there any other good FDISK like tools that are
> better?

I prefer fdisk because it it the most flexible one (look at the expert
options...), but many prefer DiskDruid which is also part of Red Hat
Linux.

> Is upgrading to the newest version very hard?

Normally it should work without much difficulty. But I prefer a fresh
install (if you have all your data on a partition of it's own (which you
will *not* format or repartition, but leave it alone during install!)
and copy /etc onto it it's not that hard to get the new system set up
the same than the old).

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/