Re: possible samba config problem or network config issue?

Raymond Ruffin wrote:
Hello I’m a newbie, running Red hat 9, and I have recently attempted to configure samba my. I am running AD / 1 win2k domain, 2 XP clients, 1 sun box Solaris 8, 1 Red hat 9 PC. The main issue I’m having is I can see the Red Hat box in network neighborhood but when I click on the icon I get the following error:

\\/myhostname/ <file:///\\myhostname>/ / is not accessible. You might have not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

From my Red hat box I ran the following command:

[root pentagon samba]# smbclient -L pentagon

added interface ip=192.168.0.17 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0

timeout connecting to 127.0.0.1:139

Error connecting to 127.0.0.1 (Operation already in progress)

Connection to pentagon failed

I think this may have happen because of problem below:

I guess I should also inform you of another problem I had since it maybe related to the samba problem. The first problem I was having was attempting to telnet into my Red hat box, I kept getting the error connection refused, so I looked for a solution in a Linux beginner forum and it recommended not to use telnet and just use Ssh and also told me to type in the following commands:

#iptables -A INPUT  -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
#iptables -P INPUT DROP

If this is all you have in the way of a firewall, then it will accept input requests on port 22 (for ssh, sftp), and will drop everything else.

Try this:
#iptables -I INPUT 1 -p tcp --dport 139 ACCEPT

(which should accept requests for smb)

and see if that works.

If you post to these lists, post in plain text. Most of the people here don't like html, and many filter html messages out and never see them.