Re: XDM problems

    One approach to diagnosing the problem is to look in
/var/log/messages.
    One thing that used to happen, and may still happen, is the user's
.Xauthority gets too big or is otherwise wrong.  You can try deleting it
for one of the users with problems logging in.
    Since they can remotely log in, it's unlikely that the problem is
quotas or lack of disk space, but since that's so easy to check, you might
as well do so.