Re: Installing RedHat over Windows

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, [iso-8859-2] Bronislav Kluèka wrote:

> Hi,
> I've got a problem, I have to install RedHat on a computer where Windows are
> (the computer will be connected to Internet). I do not want there Windows at
> all.
> I've never done it and I want to install it from floppy discs.
> My friend told me to do:
> 1/ download image from
> ftp://sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz/MIRRORS/ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/current/en/
> os/i386/ directory "redhat/base"
> 2/ upload it to floppy discs using program from subdirectory "dosutils"
>
> but there are a lot of files and I do not know which one should I use...
> I've read the README file (plenty of them) and I'm not cleverer at all.
>
> Can anybody help me, how to do this???

    I've never done this, but the Stanford Linear Accelerator computing
group has instructions:

"To create these disks under Windows:

   1. ftp the following files from a central UNIX machine
      /afs/slac/package/RedHat/RedHat9/i386/dosutils/rawrite.exe
      /afs/slac/package/RedHat/RedHat9/i386/images/bootdisk.img
      /afs/slac/package/RedHat/RedHat9/i386/images/drvnet.img
      /afs/slac/package/RedHat/RedHat9/i386/images/pcmciadd.img
      (The last one is only needed if you plan to install on a laptop.)
   2. Run rawrite.exe and follow the directions to write the bootdisk.img
file to the first floppy
   3. Repeat for drvnet.img.
   4. Repeat for pcmciadd.img. Most installations will not need this image
but laptop users definitely will for PCMCIA support."

    I suppose you would do is the same, but instead of ftp from
/afs/slac/..., use
ftp://sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz/MIRRORS/ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/current/en/os/i386/dosutils/
and
ftp://sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz/MIRRORS/ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/current/en/os/i386/images/
    You would then boot with the floppy containing bootdisk.img and
install the rest of the software from someplace else.

--
Steven Yellin