RH 9 Won't Boot/Initialize After Install On Winkbook XL Laptop

I am sure I am not the only one experiencing RH9 woes,
but here's my story. I had RH 7.3 running successfully
on my Winbook XL laptop, which is an ancient 300MHz
PII, 128MB RAM, and 6GB disk drive. The installation
for RH9 goes without a hitch. That is, until
rebooting. After that, I get to the message, "Type I
For Interactive Mode/Start Up", and nothing happens
after that. If I do a CTRL C, I get a message that
indicates the system is booting into RL 5, but that's
it, nothing else.

Anyone else having the same, or similar problem? Does
anyone know if I must upgrade RH 7.3 to version 8
before going to version 9?

Thanks,

Chuck