Re: Swap Usage

If the two events are related: Free memory nearing zero and Domino hanging,
requiring a reboot, then there is a probability that the swap isn't being used
because of some problem the OP is asking about.

Test: Exhaust physical RAM. On an idle system, start any program that uses
memory.  Figure out how much, divide 3GB by that much, fire off that many.
e.g. if the task started requires a MB of ram, start 3000 of them.  Either the
system will hang or the swap will get put to use.

Armed with the results of this test, we can take the next step.

Brian Brunner (brian t brunner gai-tronics com)

On 22:53 03 Mar 2003, Suleyman Kutlu <Suleyman Kutlu tr ibm com> wrote:
| The memory usage increases sometimes near to 2 GB but swap space usage is
| always 0K.  This server's memory is very low during bussiness
| day, and sometimes, we need to restart server inorder to make Domino to
| work!!! (It hangs and we could not stop it normally, only a reboot)..

There's nothing wrong here!
You have simply not run out of RAM yet, so your swap is as yet not needed.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

www.hubbell.com - Hubbell Incorporated