Re: How to start ImageMagick

Stephen Liu <satimis icare com hk> writes:

> Hi Oleg,
>
> Thanks for your response.

Welcome.

> Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:
> > - snip -
>
> > Is there an executable called ImageMagick? I thought ImageMagick was a
> > set of command-line utilities to manipulate images. Try man
> > ImageMagick.
>
> "menu editor" found ImageMagick command
> /usr/X11R6/bin/display

Well, display(1) is indeed one of the ImageMagick utilities. You can find
the list in the ImageMagick man page.

> # ls -l /usr/X11R6/bin/display
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root   30564 Mar 14  2002
> /usr/X11R6/bin/display

Looks OK to me

> # type ImageMagick
> bash: type: ImageMagick: not found

This says just what I did: no such thing as ImageMagick
executable... It seems to me that you expect there to be one. There
isn't, AFAIK. There are various utilities (listed in the man page)
that together comprise the ImageMagick package.

> # locate ImageMagick
> /etc/X11/applnk/Graphics/ImageMagick.desktop
> /usr/share/doc/ImageMagick-5.4.3.11
> /usr/share/doc/ImageMagick-5.4.3.11/images

This gives you all the files with ImageMagick in the full path...

> # rpm -qa|grep ImageMagick
> ImageMagick-c++-devel-5.4.3.11-1
> ImageMagick-devel-5.4.3.11-1
> ImageMagick-c++-5.4.3.11-1
> ImageMagick-5.4.3.11-1

And this gives you rpms with ImageMagick in the name...

What did you expect to see?

> but this is a standard installation of RH7.3.  Shall I reinstall
> ImageMagick.

Why? What is missing?

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | pub NOSPAM goldshmidt org