Re: telnet... again!

On 08 Mar 2003 08:26:00 +0000
Gary Skowronek <garskoci worldnet att net> wrote:

> Hello Everyone!
>
> I really hate to ask this question..... Why? 'cuz I just asked the same
> dang question for a different box! But, I have the same problem and
> can't find what I am missing.
>
> Here goes...
> I have a laptop running RH 7.3 and a server running RH 8.0. I can not
> telnet to the RH 8.0 box.
>
> Here's the output from trying to telnet:
>
> [root localhost root]# telnet linux_svr
> Trying 192.187.10.3...
> telnet: connect to address 192.187.10.3: Connection refused

Connection refused means that the address is routable but there was
nothing listing at the other end. This is good considering telnet is
deprecated and should not be used. Try ssh instead. If you want to turn
telnet on do:

  # chkconfig telnet on

If it's not found, install it first.

Mike

--
A  program should be written to model the concepts of the task it
maximizes  the  potential  for it to be applied to tasks that are