-----Mensagem original-----
De: valhalla-list-admin redhat com
[mailto:valhalla-list-admin redhat com]Em nome de Tony Nugent
Enviada em: quarta-feira, 12 de março de 2003 09:58
Para: Redhat 7. 3 Valhalla Mailing List
Assunto: Re: URGENT - errors on boot

On Wed Mar 12 2003 at 09:43, "Gilberto Garcia Jr." wrote:

> I had installed red hat 7.3
> I´m getting this error on boot
>
> scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 2, lun 0, CDB: Read (10) 00 00 01 03 77 00
00 f8 00
> Info fld=0x1041f, Current sd08:21: sense key Medium Error
> Additional sense indicates Unrecovered read error - recommend rewrite the
> data I/O error: dev 08:21, sector 66528
> JBD: Failed to read block at offset 7787
> JBD: recovery failed
> EXT3-fs: error loading journal
> mount: error 22 mounting ext3
> pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysriit,/sysriit/initrd) failed: 2
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 280K freed
> Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

> what this can be?

Hard drive (hardware) failure.  You can kiss that drive goodbye.

scsi drives tend to die like that, and unfortunately all too often.
They can run continuously and reliably for years and years, but then
you might happen to power down the system and they cool off... next
time it boots, all of a sudden things like that happen and it never
works again.

I hope you have a very recent full backup available.

You might be lucky by booting with a linux rescue disk (eg, the
redhat installation cdrom, knoppix and so on), and then be able to
run e2fsck and/or badblocks on the partitions to mount and then
retrieve most of the data, but if "fdisk -l" fails with complaints
about not being able to read the partition table, then it is hosed.

> any help are realy welcome

But then again I may be wrong (eg, scsi card gone bad).

Cheers
Tony

---