Re: (I can now!) Can't access my laptop......

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Michael Cortes wrote:

> Thanks for everyone's advise.  I am now able to connect to my laptop for
> testing purposes.  I got a lot of great advise, as is usually the case.
> Below I quote some advise that is worth commenting on.
>
> I checked my iptables and ipchains.  When I got the listing for ipchains,
> there were quite a few rules.  They must have been default from my
> installation because I did not purposely install them and up to now have
> known nothing about using them.  Although I am now curious and feeling a
> little more informed.  I will surely be experimenting with them now.  I fixed
> my problem just by flushing the tables.
>
> However, I did have to flush them again this morning.  Apparently, they must
> have a default setting which I will have to figure out how to change.

    If you turn off ipchains with, say, chkconfig, the firewall won't come
up next time you boot.  But that's not a good idea; your firewall is there
for security.  Instead try to modify it in ways that preserve its
protective functions.
    When ipchains comes up during boot, it gets its firewall instructions
from /etc/sysconfig/ipchains.  That's the default, which you may want to
save somewhere from which you can restore it if you mess up while playing
around with ipchains.  You can replace the default with the current
firewall by doing "service ipchains save".

--
Steven Yellin