Re: XFree86 and GNOME

Roger Miranda (Sumac) wrote:
Alright I think i screwed things up agian. Right now all i have for a GUI is an XFreee86 Login screen, which just seems to loop back to the login screen when I log in. Is there a way that I can reinstall Xfree and Gnome?

I am quite certain that you do not need to reinstall XFree86 or GNOME. You probably don't have the permissions set correctly on your /home directory. Login as root and bring up a terminal. Look closely at your /home directory (`ls -la /home/username`). They should all (except for ..) be owned by your user:

drwxrwxr-x  38 user group   4096 Mar 18 12:24 .
-rw-------   1 user group  16212 Mar 17 17:01 .bash_history

If any of them are owned by root (except ..), then you have a problem. Change the permissions like so:

chmod user.group /home/user

substituting your realy user and group, and then try to login again. If this doesn't help, post the output of `ls -ls /home/user`.

Forrest