Re: Today's kernel vulnerability announcement

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Tom Diehl wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Keith Mastin wrote:
>
> > Just a heads up to everyone about the kernel vulnerability announcement
> > sent out by redhat.
> > https://rhn.redhat.com/network/errata/errata_details.pxt?eid=1540
> >
> > I took a look into the matter before upgrading, as IMHO upgrading the
> > kernel is serious and shouldn't be done unless necessary. I've had
> > experience with installing "upgraded" kernels that have presented far more
> > problems than they've solved.
>
> FUD!! How hard is it to do "rpm -ivh new_kernel_rpm.rpm", reboot and test to
> your heart's content. It either works or it does not. If it does not work

Don't be silly, Tom. There are very many Linux machines that should not be
shutdown lightly.

Your home system on which nothing depends, fine. If you're running an ecommerce
server earning you money, you do not want it down.

That, to a large extent, is the reason His Gatesness's business suffered so
badly at the hands of Slammer.

--

Cheers
John.

Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.