RE: Gnome leaves blank screen

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Wilson, Stephen -CONT(CSC) wrote:

> Maybe you have the system set at to high of a resolution. I did. I performed the following:
>
> Press CTRL-ALT-F1 or F2 to get to a shell login.
> Login in as root and edit /etc/inittab and set the default runlevel to 3.
> Reboot and login in as root. At the bash prompt run Xconfigurator.

Ah poo.

This is not Windows.

<maybe> telinit 3
Xconfigurator
telinit 5 # if you did "telinit 3"

> Step through the wizard and test the settings.
> After exiting the wizard type startx to test the settings.
> Reset /etc/inittab to the default runlevel of 5.

If you want to boot once to runlevel 3, in grub edit the kernel commandline,
add "3" to the end of the commandline which looks a little like this here:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-19.7.xcustom ro root=/dev/hda3 vga=0x318 apm=off hdc=ide-scsi video=vesa:ypan,pmipal,mttr

--

Cheers
John.

Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.