Re: Logging as Root Using Telnet?

Security concerns about telnet notwithstanding, here is what you would need to do to telnet to a linux box as root:

I assume you are using xinetd. Check /etc/xinetd.d/telnet to make sure telnet is enabled ("disable = no") on both boxes.

On the linux box that you will telnet into, edit /etc/hosts.allow and have a line

in.telnetd: hostname

where "hostname" is the name or IP address of the host from which the telnet originates (that is, where you type "telnet"). You can put a network or domain in here, too, such as "192.168.1." (for a class-C network, note the trailing "dot" and missing last octet, which wildcards that last octet) or ".my.domain.net" (note the initial "dot").

Also on the linux box you will telnet into, edit /etc/securetty and add the lines

	pts/0
	pts/1

You can add more ("pts/2", "pts/3", etc.) You will need more of these pseudoterminals if the machine you are telnet'ing into has a lot of terminals running.

I think that's all that is needed.