Re: broadband

DSL is available from Qwest, but requires windows. (IE browser) and it is at least 40/mo.

redhat_valhalla yahoo com au wrote:

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, rogerwphx wrote:

I'm unable to update my system at all because of low connect speed. I am on disability and can't afford 40 - 50 / mo for a fast connect. A company, www.skyvision.com, has a dedicated satelite internet access that uses a pci card interface. It only costs 29.95/mo once you buy the equipment. They say it doesn't run on linux. Any ideas on how to make it work? They also have a usb model, but from what I can see usb isn't a good choice either.

They also have an associated site at www.cband.net for more info. I'm right at the edge of a boundry for the phone company office which translates in about a 31.6k speed with a 56k modem. This is the cheapest way.

Is DSL possible in your area? In _my_ area it's far cheaper than Sat, and you
don't need a separate phone line.

DSL is always on, you share the phone line, and you don't make phone calls to connect.

I'd be especially reluctant to buy from a vendor whose site does not even mention Linux.

The product said it was designed for windows 95, 98, NT or better so I installed Linux.