Re: DriveReady SeekComplete Error and more

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Ruben wrote:

> Hi:
> After running out of battery power, my notebook is unable to start up,
> displaying this error message:
>
> INIT: version 2.84 booting
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=13660066,
> sector=3408704
> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03 (hda), sector 3408704
> EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,3)): ext2_read_inode: unable to read inode
> block - inode=211620, block=426088

The error is a disk read error, and is presumably serious enough to stop
your system finding the files it needs to finish the boot. I suspect that
either your hard disk is physically broken (bad sectors etc.), or the file
system is corrupted to some extent, and is fooling the system into looking
for data beyond the end of the disk. If I were in this situation I would
boot from a rescue disk, and then use fsck to check and maybe repair the
file systems, and maybe also check for bad blocks. However, even if fsck
restores sanity to the file system, it may be a lot of work to replace
files or directories lost, and it may be simpler to re-install.

	Michael Young