Re: Lilo and mounted boot partition

> I have a question, one which I have never really done or thought of
> doing before, though I am sure there is some way to do it. Where I am
> at is as follows, I have a server with a "cloned" disk that I have
> mounted temporarily so that I can work on it and make some tweaks
> before throwing it into another machine as its primary drive. What I
> am trying to do, and not sure I can, is to fix the boot partition on
> the temp mounted drive. So I have 2 disks currently mounted, primary
> disk with the normal boot and root partitions, and a clone of that
> disk. I want to run lilo -v on the CLONE, but not disturb the primary
> disk and its boot sector. Is there any way to accomplish this and
> modify the CLONE boot sector with lilo?? I thought something along the
> lines of the following:
>
> lilo -t -v -C /opt/etc/lilo.conf -i /clone/boot/boot.b

Very simply, the shortest distance between 2 points being a straight line,
your best bet is to install the clone in the next box and boot it with the
bootdisk and configure lilo from there. Too many things can go wrong, you
can spend hours and hours trying to save 5 minutes. So unless there is
some reason not to boot the cloned box with a bootdisk...

--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.