Re: concerns for the future

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 11:52:11 -0600, you wrote:

>On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 11:03:36AM -0500, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
>> Our problem then is not that Red Hat created the Enterprise line, but
>> that Red Hat in essence discountinued Red Hat Linux when they launched
>> the Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS/ES/AS line.
>>
>> Yes, I know Red Hat Linux continues, but in name only.  It is,
>> starting with Red Hat Linux 9, an entirely different product because
>> the rules of product have changed.  Binary compatibility for 2 or 3
>> consecutive releases is no longer required, and support is only
>> guaranteed for 12 months instead of the 2 or so years previously.
>
>I have see *no* statements about binary compatibility between 8.0 and 9,
>nor between 9 and 10.  What are your basing your claims on?

https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/phoebe-list/2003-March/004919.html

Matt Wilson talks about how the introduction of NPTL into Red Hat 9
breaks some applications that do work on Red Hat 8.0 (hence binary
compatibility is broken between 8.0 and 9).

He also mentions how in the past introducing NPTL at this point would
not have been considered precisely because of the repercussions, and
that how this in general means technology will be introduced much
sooner now in Red Hat Linux because there is now Red Hat Enterprise
Linux to provide the long support cycles.