Re: ssh auto-login not working

> On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Keith Mastin wrote:
>

>> > Hey all,
>> >
>> > I've been quizzing over this for a few hours, and can't make it
>> work. I have 2 almost identical 7.3 machines, all updated. I want to
>> be able to login to machine B from machine A without a password
>> through ssh to run my rsync backup script.
>> >
>> > I followed the directions found at
>> > http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-openssh-client-config.html
>>
>> I just found this in my logs:
>> Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for file
>> /$HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys
>>
>> What should the ownership/permissions for these files be?
>
> Owned by the owner of $HOME
> chmod 600 /$HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys

This didn't fix the issue, however...

I checked the secure logs on the server, and found these:
fatal: buffer_get: trying to get more bytes 129 than in buffer 34

..sometimes the last number is buffer 39, but the first buffer number 129
remains the same for all the errors.

I also spec'ed PermitEmptyPasswords yes and
ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes in sshd_config on the receiving server
with the same results. I figure this has to be related to the buffer_get
error.

I did a google for sshd buffer_get, and found a similar situation where
the cut and paste into the authorized_keys file on the server was inserted
as multiple lines rather than one string. The fix was to delete the
newlines in the authorized_keys file. This worked for me.

Thanks everyone for your help and participation.

--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.