Re: ssh auto-login not working

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Keith Mastin wrote:

> >> work. I have 2 almost identical 7.3 machines, all updated. I want to
> >> be able to login to machine B from machine A without a password
> >> through ssh to run my rsync backup script.

> >> I just found this in my logs:
> >> Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for file
> >> /$HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys
> >>
> >> What should the ownership/permissions for these files be?
> >
> > Owned by the owner of $HOME
> > chmod 600 /$HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys
>
> This didn't fix the issue, however...
>
> I checked the secure logs on the server, and found these:
> fatal: buffer_get: trying to get more bytes 129 than in buffer 34
>
> ..sometimes the last number is buffer 39, but the first buffer number 129
> remains the same for all the errors.
>
> I also spec'ed PermitEmptyPasswords yes and
> ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes in sshd_config on the receiving server
> with the same results. I figure this has to be related to the buffer_get
> error.
>
> I did a google for sshd buffer_get, and found a similar situation where
> the cut and paste into the authorized_keys file on the server was inserted
> as multiple lines rather than one string. The fix was to delete the
> newlines in the authorized_keys file. This worked for me.

;-))
That goes far to explain how you couldn't solve such an elementary
problem!!

It is, I think, worth filing a bug report explaining how a more precise
diagnosis could help so many.

btw I use vi/vim/gvim for almost all my text editing, and I generally
have line numbers turned on. _That_ would have highlighted your problem.
Further, cut & paste works from gvim properly.

--

Cheers
John.

Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.