Re: How to use XFree 3.3.6 X servers?

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 11:11:04AM -0700, Oisin C. Feeley wrote:
> There's a flag "--preferxf3" IIRC which one can use with
> Xconfigurator (that sets it all up the recommended Red Hat way).  To
> switch back to using XFree86-4.x.x then set up a configuration using
> "--preferxf4" and save it and explicitly use it with startx when
> required.  Is that any help or is it a more general question?

If I use --preferxf3 with Xconfigurator, I can see nochange in
behaviour compared to not using the flag. "startx" still starts the
XFree86-4.2.0 server instead of the 3.3.6 one - the link in
/usr/X11R6/bin isn't changed. For now, I've solved it by recompiling the
SRPM of the compatibility Xservers so that I *do* get a Xwrapper RPM.
I've then installed that RPM and made the link in /usr/X11R6/bin
manually. Now startx runs the 3.3.6 server. I'm just surprised that
there isn't a better way...

Cheerio,

Thomas
                Thomas Ribbrock    http://www.ribbrock.org