Re: replace router with Linux router

----- Original Message -----
From: "David F. Colwell" <dfcolwell dfcolwell com>
To: <valhalla-list redhat com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 11:42 PM
Subject: replace router with Linux router

> At home I have built a Linux router with a firewall that works great.
> tried to move it to the office to replace an old(er) propriatary
> router.  After changing the addresses and firewall settings, I
connected
> the 100BT lines.  I get continuity lights but no others.  From what
I've
> read...  the routers on either side, an NT and an ISP, recognize its
> different MAC addresses.  Or better put, they can't route to the
> previously known MAC addresses.
>
> Which begs the first question: How do I get them to use the new MAC
> addresses / router?
>
> However, with the old router employed in its former function and the
new
> Linux router acting simply as a client, with a new IP addr on the LAN
> side of the old router, I still can't get the NIC to ping anything but
> itself.  It's as if the LAN has shunned the NIC... or turned it off
> somehow.
>
> What Linux tools are available to "reset?" the NIC's?  I have tried:
the
> DOS config applications that came with each NIC, removing and
replacing
> the NIC's including r&r the Linux configurations.
>
> Thanks.

You shouldn't have to worry about mac addresses.

Do a dmesg and see what happened to the interface cards
when the machine was booted.

Work on it one side at a time.  Which NIC is on which side?

First do an ifconfig eth0.
It should report an inet address, netmask and broadcast address and
the word UP should be there.  The inet address should be legal
on the LAN or the isp network, whichever it's connected to.

Try to ping whatever you think it's connected to.

If ping doesn't work verify the address and netmask.
Is the ISP assigning an address?  If so you will need to set up
the DHCP client.  You can redo the whole interface setup with
redhat-config-network.

If the interface is UP but ping still doesn't work, make sure your
gateway and netmask are correct.  Use netstat -nr to verify
it's being used.

Repeat the above for eth1.  On the LAN side you
probably want the address to be static, usually the first address
on the network is used for a gateway.

ifconfig eth0 down and ifconfig eth0 up generally reset things
pretty well.

You could also try /etc/init.d/network restart and look at the
messages that come back.

These are just some things to do to collect information.
You will probably have some firewall work to do after you
get connectivity.  Good luck.