SMP Hang - Urgent

Hello out there,

I have serious trouble with a dual XEON  DP box, 2GB RAM, Adaptec RAID :

since I have updated  kernel, the system freezes after 2 - 24 hours.

no entries in logfiles, no messages :-((

only hard reset possible

Searched whole errata, thought it might be the tg3 nic problem many people
had, but none of the kernels fixed out problem
turned off tg3 nic, nothing better
bootes "noapic", nothing better

system is now working with kernel 2.4.18-24.7legolas.xsmp - nothing got
better

tried anything up to kernel 2.4.18.-27.7

I'm not a real linux pro, just trying to get the system back to real life,
not to have to do a hard reset at least every 20 hours...

If anyone has an idea, please tell.

isi-jrm