Risks of SETUID pppd?

Hello all,
I activated my Motorola T260 gprs mobile phone to work with my linux-box acting
as the default Modem.

By the way I cannot use RH Dialer since (may be) something is different on the
internal commands of the mobile telephone's modem,for this reason I realized a
script that I can use *only* by setting /usr/sbin/pppd with the following
permissions:

[root linux run]# ls -la /usr/sbin/pppd
-rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root       213202 lug 22  2002 /usr/sbin/pppd

permissions= 104755

I now have two problems/questions:

1) Is there another way to activate /dev/ttyS0 with ppp without using SETUID ?

2) Whenever I activate the interface,which command should I run to shut-down it?

Note that I WANT use this interface as user and not as ROOT!

Many Thanks,See U

---
http://www.qsl.net/ik5bcu
Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla) kernel 2.4.18-27.7.x
This message was sent by XFMail