core dump

I was following an example in a book about security and wrote a sample program for the purpose of overflowing a buffer. When the buffer overflowed it gave a segmentation fault as it crashed, but failed to dump core. I didn't see any option in gcc or gdb that would affect core. How is this enabled?

--
Microsoft is a butterfly, linux is a bird. Birds eat bugs.