logs

Title: logs

Hi all,
I'me trying to locate logs for the 27 & 28th of may on my linux box.When I look I /var/log/messages I only see logs back to the 29th of may.Is there some where that linux stores old logs?.am I correct in thinking that by default logs are kept for 4 weeks.In my logrotate.conf file I have the following

/var/log/wtmp  {

    monthly
    rotate  1
}

Does this mean my logs are kept for 4weeks, if so where can I fing old logs, what does rotate 1 mean?, any help much appreciated.

Rgds.

Harry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

stated.