[Vdo-devel] impact of --emulate512 setting for VDO volumes

Michael Sclafani sclafani at redhat.com
Fri Mar 1 21:59:54 UTC 2019

Hi!

512 emulation was intended to support drivers that only do a fraction of
their I/O in blocks smaller 4KB. It is not optimized for performance in any
way. Under the covers, VDO is still operating on 4KB physical blocks, so
each 512-byte read is potentially amplified to a 4KB read, and each
512-byte write to a 4KB read followed by a 4KB write. A workload consisting
exclusively of 512-byte randomly-distributed writes could effectively be
amplified by a factor of 16.

We have a suite of automated tests we run in 512e mode on a nightly basis.
That suite is a subset of our regular tests, containing only ones we expect
would be likely to expose problems specific to the emulation.

There should be no penalty to having emulation enabled on a volume that no
longer uses it. If the I/O is 4KB-aligned and 4KB or larger, having it
enabled won't affect it.
It does not appear the setting can be modified by the VDO manager, but I
cannot remember at this moment why that should be so.

Hope this helps.