[vdo-devel] vdo 8.1.x - any documentation?

Andrew Walsh awalsh at redhat.com
Tue Jan 18 19:58:14 UTC 2022

Hello Lukasz,

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 9:41 AM Łukasz Michalski <lm at zork.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any documentation how to use vdo 8.1.x?

Documentation for the RHEL9 release is still being worked on, but this
is available in the meantime:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/9-beta/html/deduplicating_and_compressing_logical_volumes_on_rhel/index

> There no vdo command anymore?

We are no longer shipping the python-based VDO Manager software and
instead are focused on using the LVM-VDO integration to make
management of systems easier and more consistent with other Device
Mapper targets such as LVM Thin-Provisioning.

> Is it ready for production use or should I stick with 6.x ?

RHEL9 has not been released yet.  While we run tests regularly against
the code and fix issues as we discover them, there is certainly a
chance that additional changes may need to be implemented to support
the release which may not work with a pre-release version of the code.
I would suggest until RHEL9 is released, that you use 6.x for
production environments.  A VDO Manager managed volume in RHEL8 (6.x,
starting at 6.2.5.x) can be converted to an LVM-VDO volume by using
the lvm_import_vdo script (provided by the lvm2 packaging).  You can
also create a fresh LVM-VDO volume in RHEL8 as well without having to
go through the conversion step.  The documentation I mentioned above
should be able to be used in the same way for that exercise.

Thanks for reaching out.

Regards,

Andy Walsh