[vfio-users] Passed GPU not working or cause guest Windows to go BSoD

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Wed Aug 12 22:36:06 UTC 2015

Hi Andrew,

On Thu, 2015-08-13 at 01:06 +0300, Andrew V. Dromaretsky wrote:
> I was able to get working guest Windows OS with GPU passthrough on my hardware
> with Ubuntu 14.04 (hardware still the same). But seems things have changed
> when using archlinux.
>
> My hardware:
> MB: GA-990FXA-UD5
> CPU: FX-8320
> GPU Host: GeForce 7600 GS (5th PCI-E slot) default in BIOS
> GPU Guest: Radeon HD 6950 (upgraded to HD 6970 long time ago, 1st PCI-E slot)
>
> Sometimes Windows Device Manager show code 10 or code 43 for passed GPU. But
> commonly result in BSoD. Sometimes BSoD appears on boot, other times ~1 minute
> after desktop loaded. Tried with VM BIOS and UEFI OVMF (from archlinux ovmf
> package).

[snip]
> Any idea how to fix this or investigate further?

Have you tried without the nvidia driver tainting the host?

You're running with a primary VM display on spice, have you tried
eliminating emulated VGA entirely or switching to different types?  I'd
guess your 6950 doesn't include a UEFI BIOS, I have a 7850 that doesn't
either, but it somehow manages to display the tianocore bootsplash as
primary output for the VM anyway.  Otherwise x-vga is an option,
especially since you don't use Intel host graphics.

It used to be that some users found Radeon configurations with Catalyst
more stable w/o assigning the GPU audio function.  In general, it seems
that a lot of Radeon GPU assignment users put up with some amount of
BSODs.

Thanks,
Alex