[vfio-users] Fwd: vga and subsystem

Bradley Davis bradleydavisjr at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 13:49:13 UTC 2015

What laptop make and model is it? If it doesn't support it now, chances are
it wont due to a technical limitation. I was able to get PCI passthrough
working in a HP Elitebook of mine by passing through the Express Card to
the VM. I was only doing a USB express card. If you wanted to do VGA, you
could create yourself an express card to pcie slot with powersupply. Here
is an example:
http://www.ioi.com.tw/products/proddetail.aspx?AppID=1008&CatID=113&HostID=2043&ProdID=1130005

There are a  number of solutions out there so do the research. All this
depends on if your Processor and Chipset support VT-D or IOMMU.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 3:50 PM, ehsan davoodi <e.davoodi at gmail.com> wrote:

> oh noooooooo
> I cant belive.
> Please tell the meaning of  "no-go" is not "not supported" or "not
> supported yet" .:-)
>
> one of the best situation for VGA passthrough is in laptop which has two
> vga.
> I will wait and hope some one find the solution
> thanks
>
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 10:05 PM, Will Marler <will at wmarler.com> wrote:
>
>> I think others will chime in here, but in general, VGA passthrough is a
>> no-go on laptops : (.
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 9:54 AM, ehsan davoodi <e.davoodi at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Dear Mr Alex Williamson AND VFIO USERS
>>> first sorry about my English and
>>> sorry for disturbing your time but I have some questions please.
>>> I am not computer programmer and try to solve my problem but I cant.
>>>
>>> I am using Linux in my Laptop (OpenSuse 13.2) and want to use VGA
>>> passthrough.
>>> I add some patches "ACS override patch
>>> <https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/5/30/513>" and "i915 VGA arbiter patch
>>> <https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/5/9/517>" to kernel 4.1.3 and compile it.
>>>
>>> my problem is that subsystem ID of VGA does not recognized in Linux and
>>> therefore when it passthrough kvm the driver of windows not installed. In
>>> windows(host) vga works fine and  subsystem Id is 14AD1043.
>>> In Linux just after boot the subsystem is correct but after running VM
>>> and after shutting down it the subsystem not recognized (three condition
>>> and outputs are in lspci-nv.txt) so in vm subsystem will be 00000000 (guest
>>> win.png).
>>> I tried to change main windows driver inf file nvami.inf(nvami.inf.txt)
>>> and add another gtx 850m to list with zero subsystem but hash error not
>>> permit driver installation.
>>>
>>> I extract VGA ROM(vga4pres) from laptop bios(n56jkas.203 in
>>> http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/N56JK/N56JKAS203.zip) and use it in
>>> xml but not changed.
>>>  other PCI like my LAN recognized subsystem in Linux and when passed to
>>> kvm worked fine.
>>> Attachments are some of my outputs and my configs.
>>>
>>> lsmod
>>>
>>> lspci -vvvv
>>>
>>> /etc/modeprobe/99-local.conf
>>>
>>> my grub:
>>>  resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/a7507032-1ea2-43dc-a1aa-3d9754aedb19
>>> splash=silent quiet showopts nomodeset intel_iommu=on acpi_backlight=vendor
>>> vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 i915.enable_hd_vgaarb=1
>>> i915.modeset=0 pci-stub.ids=10de:1391 rd.driver.pre=vfio-pci