[vfio-users] Distorted sound in guest with Pulseaudio

Garrett Powell garretttracypowell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 17:45:21 UTC 2015

I can only hear sound in the guest (Windows 10) if there are no
applications running in the host that use pulseaudio (Skype, Tox, etc.).
Even then, the sound is incredibly distorted with a lot of static. I'm
using an external USB DAC. Here's my QEMU launch script:

#!/bin/bash
synergys --daemon --config /etc/synergy.conf
export QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=pa
qemu-system-x86_64 \
-enable-kvm \
-m 10240 \
-cpu host,kvm=off \
-smp sockets=1,cores=4,threads=2 \
-vga none \
-nographic \
-soundhw hda \
-name Windows10-VM \
-drive
if=pflash,format=raw,readonly,file=/usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd
\
-drive
if=pflash,format=raw,file=/usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/OVMF_VARS-pure-efi.fd
\
-device vfio-pci,host=03:00.0 \
-device vfio-pci,host=03:00.1 \
-device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi \
-drive
file=/home/garrett/VMs/Windows10/windows.img,id=disk,format=raw,if=none
-device scsi-hd,drive=disk \
-drive file=/home/garrett/VMs/Windows10/windows.iso,id=isocd,if=none
-device scsi-cd,drive=isocd \
-drive file=/home/garrett/VMs/Windows10/virtio-win.iso,id=virtiocd,if=none
-device ide-cd,bus=ide.1,drive=virtiocd \
-drive file=/mnt/storage/win-storage.img,id=storage,format=raw,if=none
-device scsi-hd,drive=storage \
-boot menu=on
pkill synergys

This is some of the output I get whenever I run the script:

pulseaudio: pa_context_connect() failed
pulseaudio: Reason: Connection refused
pulseaudio: Failed to initialize PA contextaudio: Could not init `pa' audio
driver
ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:614:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
alsa: Could not initialize ADC
alsa: Failed to open `default':
alsa: Reason: No such file or directory

Thinking that running the script as root might be the source of the issue,
I tried running pulseaudio in system-wide daemon mode. Audio in the host
still works, and I'm getting the same distortion in the guest. This is some
of the output I get now:

pulseaudio: Wrong context state
pulseaudio: Reason: Access denied
pulseaudio: Failed to initialize PA contextaudio: Could not init `pa' audio
driver
ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:614:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
alsa: Could not initialize ADC
alsa: Failed to open `default':
alsa: Reason: No such file or directory

I've tried setting QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=alsa and I get the same results/output
minus the pulseaudio stuff. I'm clueless at this point.

Thanks,
Garrett