[vfio-users] Advice on cpu pinning AMD FX 8350

David Sutton kantras at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 22:08:50 UTC 2015

Hi there,

On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 8:00 PM, Blank Field <ihatethisfield at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Everything as usual. By usual i mean i7 hyperthreaded cores.
> Pair siblings cores.
> Those, who share the FPU, and, AFAIR, caches.
> To know your exact logical CPU numbers you should examine /proc/cpuinfo
> closely.

  I was aware of the core/module pairings, so /proc/cpuinfo was one of the
first places that I had looked for clues; the problem is that I don't see
it showing anywhere obvious about how the core/module pairing is numbered
(ie 0-1,2-3,4-5,6-7 or 0-4,1-5,2-6,3-7)

For example, this is the first 4 entries:

---
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 21
model           : 2
model name      : AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
stepping        : 0
microcode       : 0x6000832
cpu MHz         : 4013.832
cache size      : 2048 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 8
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 4
apicid          : 16
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 13
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid
aperfmperf pni pclmulq
dq monitor ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes xsave avx f16c lahf_lm
cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw
ibs xop skinit wdt lwp fma4 tce nodeid_msr tbm topoext perfctr_core
perfctr_nb arat cpb
hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid
decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold vmmcall bmi1
bugs            : fxsave_leak sysret_ss_attrs
bogomips        : 8030.15
TLB size        : 1536 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts ttp tm 100mhzsteps hwpstate cpb eff_freq_ro

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 21
model           : 2
model name      : AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
stepping        : 0
microcode       : 0x6000832
cpu MHz         : 4013.832
cache size      : 2048 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 8
core id         : 1
cpu cores       : 4
apicid          : 17
initial apicid  : 1
[...]

processor       : 2
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 21
model           : 2
model name      : AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
stepping        : 0
microcode       : 0x6000832
cpu MHz         : 4013.832
cache size      : 2048 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 8
core id         : 2
cpu cores       : 4
apicid          : 18
initial apicid  : 2
[...]

processor       : 3
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 21
model           : 2
model name      : AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
stepping        : 0
microcode       : 0x6000832
cpu MHz         : 4013.832
cache size      : 2048 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 8
core id         : 3
cpu cores       : 4
apicid          : 19
initial apicid  : 3
[...]

  I'm also trying to search around to see if anyone else has mentioned it
but haven't found anything yet.

Regards,

  David